The great majority of forex traders have under 3 years of trading experience.
- Forex traders are perhaps younger than you’d expect – 27% of forex traders fall into the 18-34 age group.
- The 35-44 age group represents 28% of traders, while the 45-54 age group accounts for 21% of traders. Only 24% of traders are older than 55, and only 9% are older than 65.
Most forex traders are men in their 30s and 40s.
- Men account for 89.1% of forex traders – meaning that only 10.9% of traders are women.
- Only about 15% of forex traders make a profit.
- 66% of traders make use of daily charts.
- 41% of traders average between 9 and 20 trades each month.
- 45% of traders spend 1-2 hours each day trading, while only 14% spend more than 6 hours per day.
- 31% of traders have been trading for less than a year, and 39% have been trading for 1-3 years. Traders which have been trading for 4-9 years account for 23%, while those that have been trading forex for over a decade account for only 7% of all traders.
- The most popular trading platform is still the classic MT4, which is used by 85% of traders. The second most popular platform is the MT5, which is used by only 6% of traders.
- 70% of trades use a live account, while the other 30% are using demo accounts.
- 72% of forex traders have no prior experience in trading in other markets.
- There are approximately 10 million forex traders in the world today.
- Of those 10 million, 3.2 million are in Asia, and 1.5 million each in Europe and North America.
- There 1.3 million traders in Africa, almost a million in the Middle East, and 600,000 in South America. Central America has around 335,000 traders, while Oceania has 190,000.
- As for specific countries, the UK, as a hub of forex trading, is the leader in this regard, having more than 280,000 online traders.